Topic: Creative Ways of Establish Order in the Home and Classroom without Losing the Spirit
Date: August 20, 2008
Location: MARB, Room 445
Lecturer: Mark E. Beecher
1. Summarize your thoughts about chocolate for me? I’d like to see what your beliefs are about this subject. Your ACTIONS truly show the truth. All of us know quite a bite I would say, but we may find ourselves not doing everything we know.
2. Your ultimate goal in teaching is NOT to have your students keep quiet, OR simply talk. Your goal is to have them speak from their heart as moved by the Holy Ghost. By doing this you will help them increase their “practices” in life in relation to the “principles” and values they know and hold dear.
Another great diagram to visual as your role and objective as a teach is:
4. Reverence invites revelation. Quote Boyd K. Packer Oct 1991 General Conference
5. There’s nothing worse than a class that is dead. Apathy should not be incentivized K
6. Teaching should heal the spirit.
7. Principle: I know I am more likely to respond to correction when I know I am loved.
8. You can’t withdrawal money from an empty rapport account. Remember the T.R.A.P. acronym, four basic solutions if rapport is not there, or low:
—– T—Talk about what is interesting to them before/after class—be specific or it may get out of hand.
—– R—Remember the little things like B-day, hobbies, interests, their name, etc…
—– A—Attend their events at school for example—football games etc…
—–P —Pray for greater love—specific names of people.
9. Predict the problem—Prepare your lessons according to your audience. You can avoid a lot of problems doing this.
10. A good offense is sometimes the best defense in disciplinary issues. Rule of thumb: duration of meeting should equal the age of the person in minutes. J This is not a principle, but a general guideline.
The 5 P’s : 1) Preparation, 2) Powerful, 3) Presentations, 4) Prevents, 5) Problems
11. 1 Nephi 15: 8, 9, 26 Verses 8&9= Nephi’s brethren don’t care about inquiring of the Lord for understanding. Verse 26: Nephi’s brethren started asking questions. What did Nephi do to cause them to start asking questions? He taught powerfully. He uses the scriptures, puts it in the context of the Plan of Salvation, and exhorts them. Nephi is a passionate teacher.
12. Direct students to the scriptures to answer the questions they ask instead of setting yourself up as an “authority”, make the scriptures the authority.
13. There are three areas Br. Beecher teaches all CES leaders:
1. Duplicatable, predicable is what people want.
14. Disciplinary action:
a. Never use a sledge hammer when a flyswatter will do. Boyd K. Packer
b. Give the person “the look” to remind them you don’t want to have to remind them again. If they continue you may need to take them out into the hall, or room and ask them “what is going on in their life to cause them to demand so much attention in class?”
c. Br. Beecher shared us the story of one of his student who did this, he took him to a different room and ask him that same question. Thankfully he didn’t rail on him like the natural man in us would have. He found out that there was a lot of stress in the boys life. Thereafter he was great in class. Sad story though since he died six months thereafter in a auto accident. L